Help with paying your rent

You maybe entitled to benefits to cover all or part of your rent.  Please remember; as it is your rent account you are still responsible for ensuring that the rent is paid even if you qualify for Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

You may qualify for assistance from Housing Beneift which is a government subsidy administered by North Lanarkshire Council that helps people who are on lower incomes to pay their rent.  If you are in any doubt as to whether you would qualify then you should apply to check, your housing officer can assist you with this if you wish.  If you qualify you will either have your full rent covered or pay a reduced amount towards your rent every month.

Universal Credit is now replacing the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit (for some claimants)
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit

You need to apply for Universal Credit online, if you live with a partner you need to apply as a couple.  If you require any assistance or more information about claiming Universal Credit our AFTAR advisors can assist you.